Tuesday, May 18, 2010

This Girl Loves a Bargain!

I've been trying to get into coupon-clipping for awhile now. I've heard from so many people who swear by this method of discount-shopping, but have to admit that it's a little intimidating, especially when they try to explain "piggybacking" coupons and price-matching, etc.

But I gave it a pretty decent shot this week, and was so impressed with my bargains that I had to share 'em! I mean, this is free money, people! Yes please, I'll take some.

Here's the loot from my first trip of the week, to CVS.



I was completely out of shampoo, hairspray, and mousse (and you were wondering what I have been trying to do with this mop lately!) so saw that CVS had  Pantene hairspray and mousse on sale for $2.99 ea. Then I used my $1.00 off coupon, so got each for $2.49 (regularly $4.99 and $4.49 each).

The Dawn dishsoap is regularly $1.99 each, but they were on sale for 12 for $10.00. (Who would stock up on 12 is beyond me... obviously someone who lives in a very different house than ours). But that made them $.84 each. On top of that, I had two $.25 off coupons and a $.50 off coupon - so each of them rang up at under $.53 cents a piece! (And they are yummy too. Green Apple, Orange, Pomegranite and Lavendar!)

Total Spent: $7.74
Total Saved: $10.35

I felt really encouraged by my first stop! I think the trick is to go in with your list and not steer from it - I was tempted once or twice but am so glad I didn't. There wasn't anything else I needed, anyway.
Then I went to CashWise grocery store. They're notorious for giving away free items with specific purchases or with a certain purchase amount. I took advantage of their coupons and my manufacturers' coupons to get a bunch of sweet deals.



I picked up
  • 5 boxes of General Mills cereal
  • 10 packages of Knorr Sides
  • 4 boxes of store brand mac'n'cheese
  • 4 avocados
  • 2.5 lbs tomatoes on the vine
  • lettuce
  • a lemon
  • butter
  • croutons
  • 2 frozen pie crusts
  • 3 cans of mushroom pieces and stems
  • Country Time Lemonade mix
  • 1 bag of pretzel sticks
  • 2.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
All for just $36.57! I saved $16.03. Here's how I did it:

  • Cereal: advertised 4/$10, plus get $4.00 off when you buy 4. I got 5 boxes because I was able to use my $.55 off coupon on the Cheerios, too.
  • Knorr Sides: advertised at 10/$10.00, with coupon they were 10/$8.00 AND I got my chicken breasts for free!
  • On-the-vine tomatoes: Regularly $1.99/lb but on sale for $.98/lb
  • Avocados: $.88/ea
  • Mushrooms: 3/$1.00
  • Lettuce: $1.28
  • Pretzels: $1.99
  • Lemon: $.58
  • Pie crust: $1.88
  • Butter: $2.99
  • Mac'n'Cheese: $.25/ea
  • CountryTime Lemonade: FREE because I spent $25.00

And, I got a coupon for $.04 off per gallon of gas so I filled up at their pump just around the corner. It ended up being about $.11 cheaper per gallon than at the gas station closer to my house!

I can't even explain how much I loved buying all the things I was going to buy anyway, but for way less money! It did take a little time to make my lists based off the Sunday ads, and to clip the coupons from the manufacturers' circulars, but in these three trips alone (including the gas station), I saved almost $30.00! And it was all for things I use, including a few items that I needed right away, so I couldn't wait for a sale or coupon. Knowing that, I could have done even better - and will! You just wait and see...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi,
Yes ,its truly said that girls do better bargaining.by getting money saving coupons not only helps them but their bargaining also help them to save money.

backtobasics said...

You are quite the baker!

backtobasics said...

Yeah - I remembered my password! Now to write it down!!!