Thursday, February 17, 2011

El Profesor.

Have you ever tried to picture Tony with a monacle? Me neither. Until he started teaching a class at the local tech school; and now I laugh about it all the time!

In the midst of my job-search, Tony was offered yet another gig. Isn't that totally how it goes? I'm the one applying for dozens of jobs, and he was offered a great position - no application necessary! His former construction management instructor recommended him to the college to teach a class in the construction management department. After some re-arranging of schedules (his and the students'), he's now teaching 32 people in an evening course on estimating principles.

I've worried about him sometimes because it feels like he was kind of thrown to the wolves. He observed the former teacher lead one class, then took it over since then! Crazy to think that licensed teachers spend at least a semester - if not an entire school year - student teaching on top of their 4 year education in order to prepare them for this role, and Tony got exactly 2 hours and 50 minutes!

Not surprisingly, Tony has adapted really well. It's keeping him busy - two evenings of teaching each week and at least two nights of lesson prep - but he's getting more confident with every class, and I'm sure the students are feeling that too.

So thankful that he's as marketable as he is, since my job search is turning up few leads at the moment. I'm temporarily working with another Realtor at Coldwell while his assistant is out of town, so will be there two days a week for 5 or 6 weeks. Then who knows!

But honestly - I don't mind having this guy as a boss for the time being!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I was scrolling and scrolling to see the picture of Tony with a mustache ... until I read again that you wrote "monacle". Still, a picture of that would be welcome.

april said...

Yeah. Neither are too likely, luckily :)