Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Inspired.

I'm going to have to come clean here, you guys. I am a total blog-stalker. Somewhere through various links, websites and message boards I've come upon a handful of mamas, couponers, and DIY homeowners who I just fall in love with. And then I can't get enough of them - their daily lives somehow become really important to me.

Almost a year ago, I stumbled upon Enjoying the Small Things, by Kelle Hampton. Kelle is a super-talented photographer and writer who learned last January that her sweet baby girl had been born with Down Syndrome. After reading this amazingly moving post, I was touched so deeply that I just couldn't stop learning about Kelle and her "littles", Lainey and Nella. Maybe it was because at the time I was carrying my first baby, whose good health I had been praying for; or because my hormones were at an all-time high, but I have been adoring Nella and supporting her mama ever since.

Kelle has taken the opportunity to speak about Down Syndrome on her blog throughout the past year, and now in honor of Nella's first birthday, she challenged her readers to "pay it forward" by donating to the National Down Syndrome Society. Her original goal, to be met by Nella's birthday on January 22nd, was $15,000... to date she's raised more than $44,000. Forty Four Thousand Dollars! And she's got 11 days to go! It's unimaginable to me that Kelle, who basically blogs about day-to-day life with her husband, step-sons, and two little girls, has influenced her readers to share so generously!

The first time I checked Nella's fundraising site, Kelle had raised $245. Since then I have been cheering (literally!) each time I refresh the page to watch the funds grow. I am astounded by the power of Kelle and everyone who has grown to love Nella through her blog.

Anyway, just wanted to spread the word. If you're looking for a place to share - the National Down Syndrome Society would be a deserving recipient. And if you're looking for a blog to stalk, try Kelle's. And, if you're looking to swoon over a sweet little man, try this one:

Works for me every time.


No comments: